Zenith Zodiac CH601XL
Web Link to the manufacturer: http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/index.html
aircraft project is a Zenith Zodiac CH601XL. It is a two place low wing
I chose to build an aircraft rather than buy a certificated aircraft because:
(1) I have always enjoyed the challenge of building things.
(2) Lower cost of ownership.
(3) More latitude in choosing engine, airframe, type of fuel, capability of aircraft, etc.
(4) I enjoy learning new skills and this type of project exposes me to them.
(5) I needed a project for my retirement which would keep me active, both physically and mentally.
I chose to build the CH601XL because:
(1) I wanted to build a metal aircraft.
(2) Zenith aircraft are of relatively simple construction, which I could do by myself.
(3) The 601XL has good performance with a moderate sized engine.
(4) The kit has good optons, especially many engine choices.
(5) The kit manufacturer has a good reputation and is very accessable.
(6) This aircraft qualifies as a Light Sport Aircraft if I should need to use it as such.
This project has offered many challenges and has required many decisions that I have been able to resolve on my own. It has been a very rewarding experience so far.